Friday, April 29, 2011

Retelling

Picture
Since day one of kindergarten I have been reminding you how important it is to not just read with your child but practice retelling. This is a difficult skill since the children need to learn how to do it. They must really concentrate, be fluent readers and then remember all of the information. We practice this skill daily in our classroom but it is still a skill they struggle with!

Picture

Below I have uploaded a video of Emilee. She reads a story to me, then I ask her to "tell me what happened in this story." Emilee does a wonderful job with her retelling! She explains what happened on each page, tells me about each character and then gives detail in the ending. She even infers about what the main character is thinking.

Picture

This video (other than the noise in the background, and that Emilee is a bit of a fast talker)  is a perfect example of what retelling is and how you can practice it at home.

Keep up the great work and thank you Emilee!!

Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment